Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Chapter 1


Heroes are different in the career; but they are similar in character.Sometimes I really miss my unforgettable childhood. It is my sunrise while it is my grandpa’s sunset. However, we are both on our own journey of precious life.As a five-year-old boy, my favorite hobbies were watching cartoons like Police Chief Black Cat and Calabash Brothers, and playing games with my fellow friends.One day, when we boys were chasing one another for fun, I fell on a stone and had my knees broken. Scarlet blood poured out, which frightened some of friends into tears immediately. Clenching my teeth, I tried to hold my tears back.Soon my grandpa came almost out of his breath. He carried me home on back. I would never believe that he is so strong a man at his sixties if I had not seen it with my own eyes. He cleaned my wounds and bound them up. Seeing that I didn’t even drop of tear, he was confused and asked, “Oh, boy! Maybe your tears were frightened back to your belly.”“Not that, grandpa. I was on the point bursting into tears when I remembered what you told me before that a man can pour sweat but he can never pour tears. So I, as a real man, will not drop tears, now or ever!” I retorted, pouting my lips.“Oh, a real man!” he seemed almost to laugh out, “you are a man but a wounded man. Anyway, would you tell me why you were chasing each other again? I have told you it’s dangerous for you to run that fast.”“I just have nothing else even a bit more interesting to do. How boring the day is! How boring our childhood is! Oh, I can’t imagine how you spent those boring days in your life.”“Do you really want to know something about my childhood?”“Yes, if I may say so.” I was clearly filled up with curiosity.“I do wish that I have had as ‘boring’ a childhood as you do.” he said leisurely, “When I was at the same age of you, my grandpa who was a peasant told me to herd cattle for a landlord. He made me believe that it was my destine and duty to do that.”“How were you going with it?” I asked eagerly.“Of course, I did the best as I could. Other boys sometimes got a good beating for losing a head of cattle, but it never occurred to me. It was my duty and, what is more, my honor to be praised by the landlord then.”“Oh, you did! That’s the best fun I have ever heard for a boy. Grandpa, I promise you that I would do better than you if sent me to herd cattle for a landlord tomorrow.”My grandpa was amused and nodding his head. Then he began to ponder what I said without a word. I didn’t know what duty and honor really means at that time but I was convinced that one should try his best to live up with his duty and honor, for without them the childhood would have been really boring.

No comments:

Post a Comment